Monday, March 03, 2008

The carpet came up the front stairs yesterday as promised. No lovely red oak treads hiding underneath. This isn't an episode of This Old House.

The treads are, in fact, white-edged, evidence that the trim color was spray-painted on ... the first time. The tread that always creaked is clearly split right down the middle.

Jeff hasn't ruled out replacing the stairs altogether. Certainly the broken tread will need replacement. The front stairs are off-limits right now. We have gates up to keep the kids out.

Jeff hates carpet. He'd like to paint, probably white risers and dark brown treads. He might even grant me my runner, as these are the "front stairs" and must be fancier.

He spackled the wall, especially the quarter-sized divot I made in it last January when I fell down the stairs. Before losing my grip on the retrieved toy car altogether, a tail-fin must have gouged the wall as I tried in vain to regain my balance. The wall will be painted, that's decided.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there!
I found you through blog catalog and the Calling Rome Home blog. I am new to this area - I have a poetry blog elsewhere, but needed to have a spiritual outlet as well.
I'm a lifelong Catholic, Canadian, and my husband is a convert of 12 years.
I would be grateful if you could check out my faith blog, Catholic Me.
Thanks!
Peace,

Beatasum (I am blessed)