Saturday, March 08, 2008

This isn't the reason I'm there. I don't think so. It happens so infrequently that, if it were the reason, I'd be mostly wasting my time.

A woman from Argentina, toting an obviously borrowed New King James Bible, joined. Right off the bat, she self-identified as Catholic. Why do we do that?! Told you the Bible was borrowed!

She participated but couldn't keep up. Protestant Bible studies jump around in the Bible, alot. Eventually she stopped trying to find the psalms or Romans.

She promised to come again. I'd be surprised. Lots of people never return. But she isn't attending anywhere and the study leader wants her to join there. But she said she's Catholic.

I've decided to bring the bulletin of the parish closest her neighborhood, which just happens to have a thriving Spanish-speaking community and pastor, and offer to attend with her, at least initially. If, as I expect, she doesn't return, I'll ask the study leader to pass along the bulletin and my offer.

Yes, I may be asking for trouble: we've known each other a long time, the study leader and I. And I'm just as resolute as she is.

No comments: