Friday, April 18, 2008

Bringing her commentary's take on Genesis 24:19-20 to bear, the study leader suggested that 100 trips would be needed to draw enough water for all the camels, implying that God worked a miracle, to prove that Rachel was "the one."

But, this recent Westminster graduate hastened to add that God doesn't work extraordinary miracles today because we have his written word, the Bible. As if watering camels with agility and grace is something extraordinary.

I kept my objections to myself, even when an underling, who's learned to parrot some Reformed convictions, chimed in, with a tone of mocking incredulity, "Some groups these days demand signs, look for them: a spinning sun or whatever!"

It wasn't too hard to figure out what ... or who ... they were talking about. But I ignored them, especially the parrot, without giving the slightest indication that I agreed with them.

So, then, the gospel reading this Sunday from John's Gospel:
The Father who dwells in me is doing his works.
Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me,
or else, believe because of the works themselves.
Amen, amen, I say to you,
whoever believes in me will do the works that I do,
and will do greater ones than these,
because I am going to the Father.”
The trouble is determining what Jesus means by "works" (ἔργον). Are these distinct from Jesus' "signs" (σημεῖον)?

Barrett says no. "Throughout this gospel the ἔργα or σημεῖα are presented as events which ought to and sometimes do elicit faith (e.g. 2.11)." [page 460].

Barrett takes a moderate position on verse 12: "The power to work miracles was universally credited to the apostles and their contemporaries, and seems to have continued, especially as the power of exorcism, till a late date. [...] The greater works therefore are the gathering of many converts into the church through the activity of the disciples, which however is effective only through the continuing power of Jesus' word and the work of the Holy Spirit."

A further note completes his thought, "Their works are greater not because they themselves are greater but because Jesus' work is now complete [i.e., Ascension and Pentecost - tks]."

No comments: