Sunday, April 13, 2008

If I can accept Kerry and Blair and, even McGreevey 'til he left, why am I saying, "Dear God, not him!" ...
John DiIulio, Bush's first director of faith-based initiatives, has called the president a "closet Catholic."
"A Catholic Wind in the White House," Washington Post, 4/13/08.

At the time, I figured Bush surrounded himself with Catholic intellectuals because (1) Washington is dripping with politically-minded Catholics naturally and (2) Catholics don't threaten him - you know, don't make him feel inferior, intellectually or morally.

Jeb's faith notwithstanding, the elder Bush uses religion to his advantage. And, it just seems that, with the Pope coming for a visit, we need some religious intrigue. Besides, there'll be "the talk." About the war.

See, that's where this speculative piece breaks down. Six years ago, the journalist had a somewhat compelling story but since, we've seen a downward spiral. It's one side of the full picture, as this comment makes clear:
It seems unfair to evangelical Protestants to assume that whenever the president’s policies exhibit compassion, he’s acting like a Catholic. If any actual evidence is needed that President Bush draws primarily on evangelical Protestantism rather than Catholic social teaching, consider his approach to Israel and the Palestinians. It it much more consistent with evangelical thought than with anything coming from the Vatican.
Exactly.

via Commonweal. Read all the other comments, especially the one that offers the president a subscription. Oh, and this one:
"I tolerate a lot from institutional Catholicism, but if Bush is accepted into the church, I will happily make room for him by leaving."
See, I'm not alone.

tags technorati :

4 comments:

Matt said...

Regarding the person who will leave the Barque of Peter, Holy Mother Church, if President Bush strives to attain his personal salvation through her...

By threatening to leave if he is accepted into the Church this person shows that they have the spiritual maturity of a 3rd grader. What a sad comment that someone would give up their own salvation because another is trying to attain theirs. I did not lament when Tony Blair joined as some did on the ecclesial "right". Good for Tony Blair, and I hope President Bush follows his lead. Just another sinner like the rest of us.

Commonweal is filled with heresy and other critters. I would no more regularly read that paper/thing than I would subscribe to the Remnant or some other separated traddy pub.

On another note, I am now onto Spiritus Paraclitus, by Benedict the 15th. :-)

I mentioned your favorite Fr. Brown after Mass to someone this week and I got the "eyebrows raised DANGER WILL ROBINSON warning". "WATCH OUT FOR THAT GUY!" :-)

I am really enjoying studying this topic du jour (du month, really.)

Moonshadow said...

Thank you for your comment, Matt.

I was surprised to see Fr. Brown's Intro to NT Christology on B&N bookshelves tonight. None other of his works were available. I picked up hardcovers of the pope's encyclicals, which I hope to mark up with notes. "Working copies," as it were.

I gave my gut reaction to the speculation about President Bush. If it were to happen, I would have to come to terms with it. I don't know whether you saw this interview with Raymond Arroyo, also linked through Commonweal.

I wouldn't say that Fr. Cunningham or Fr. Imbelli or Fr. Komonchak or even Eduardo Penalver are heretics. I suppose none of the female contributors are heretics either. Several, men and women, are even converts to Catholicism ... and seemingly happy ones at that! ;-)

I almost bought one of Fr. Cunningham's books tonight but opted for Bart Ehrman's latest (now, there's a heretic, poor fellow). I avoided Borg and Wright, despite Anne Rice's endorsement on the latter.

I should have mentioned that I prayed for your sister on Sunday during mass. I'm not the most effectual pray-er, given all my sins, but ... let's hope the right thing happens. And thank you for your comment.

Matt said...

Thanks for the prayers. Keep em coming! My sister prayed her first Rosary today. She asked how, I gave her a little booklet, and gave her one to use. A family from my parish who saw me buying her a catechism in the local Catholic shop has "adopted" her as their cause. Hopefully all this praying will make a great saint.

I've heard that once a potential convert begins to pray to the Blessed Mother its all over. They're hooked. I never thought about it but I guess it holds true in every case I've heard of.

Moonshadow said...

once a potential convert begins to pray to the Blessed Mother its all over.

Yeah, absolutely.

I'm a sucker for conversion stories, from St. Paul, to Augustine, to Jean Valjean, to many on The Journey Home.

I'm especially fond of Wayne Weible's story, the captivating Protestant journalist (unlike that pedantic fellow), the Medjugorje happenings notwithstanding, because the role the rosary played.

In the first chapter of his book, Garry Wills points out that the rosary is a part of that pre-Reformation tradition so often claimed by Catholics and Protestants. I blogged some from his (highly recommended) book last summer.

The prayers of a family shopping for religious goods availeth much, I trust.