Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Just because I never read this excerpt before doesn't mean it's obscure.

I came across it quoted in a book I'm reading:
Now, in regard to the canonical Scriptures, he must follow the judgment of the greater number of catholic churches; and among these, of course, a high place must be given to such as have been thought worthy to be the seat of an apostle and to receive epistles.1

Accordingly, among the canonical Scriptures he will judge according to the following standard: to prefer those that are received by all the catholic churches to those which some do not receive.

Among those, again, which are not received by all, he will prefer such as have the sanction of the greater number and those of greater authority, to such as are held by the smaller number and those of less authority.

If, however, he shall find that some books are held by the greater number of churches, and others by the churches of greater authority (though this is not a very likely thing to happen), I think that in such a case the authority on the two sides is to be looked upon as equal.
Let me say that I don't know who Augustine is talking to.

Augustine goes on to list a set of books. It's interesting how comfortable he is with applying these "use" principles to books in Hebrew as well as in Greek. These matters are open ones to him.

I don't care about the lists because the fact is that, today, among East & West (and North & South), Christians now have different lists.

Is this a big deal? We try to make it a big deal. They charge, "You added!" We counter, "You subtracted!"

If one takes a cue from "the Early Church," - don't we all want to? - the deal doesn't seem so big. Probably because, on the one hand, "it's all good!" and, on the other, there was already a guiding "rule of faith,"2 that these scriptures were interpreted in light of.

1 These centers would include, I suppose, the five apostolic sees, in no particular order - ha! - of Rome, Constantinople, Antioch, Jerusalem and Alexandria. Plus Rome - oh, I said 'Rome' already! - Corinth, Ephesus, Colossae, Philippi, Thessaloniki, Galatia. I would doubt that the churches mentioned in chapters 2 & 3 of Revelation qualify.

2 "If prophecy, use it according to the standard of faith;" - Romans 12:6b (HCSB)

4 comments:

Matt said...

Its very interesting, and I love St. Augustine. But as far as the Canon is concerned, its set by the authority of the Church not the pious opinion of church-goers.

Although I did hear someone opine once that the Church never officially cut out the extras in some of the Orthodox canons. hrm...

But if the Church of Christ subsists in the Catholic Church, which is the pillar and bullwark of Truth, wouldn't it then follow that she has in fact not erred on the acceptance of the canon and that everyone else who does not accept it is wrong?

Btw, I bought a little book copy of "Interpretation of the Bible in the Church" today while shopping for a catechism for my sister (who may be converting, pray!) I've only read the first couple opening pages but I already appreciate the way it seeks to bring the older encyclicals, along with Dei Verbum, together and apply them today.

Moonshadow said...

This post got off-track, I admit that.

I am trying to make a case for variance in the Old Testament canon. Or at least cast enough doubt so as to foster charity on many sides.

And so, as I argue back, you'll see how weak my knowledge of ecumenical and ecclesial issues is ... despite being favorite interests after Bible ... (distant 2nd and 3rd!)

I appreciate your help in understanding and clarification.

Yes, the Church of Christ subsists in the Catholic Church.

But "it is possible, according to Catholic doctrine, to affirm correctly that the Church of Christ is present and operative in the churches and ecclesial Communities not yet fully in communion with the Catholic Church, on account of the elements of sanctification and truth that are present in them." this document referencing Ut Unum Sint, 12.

It's worth noting that some Protestants likewise recognize and affirm similar elements about Catholicism, in so far as we Catholics worship Christ and proclaim the word of God at liturgy.

We have Trent; I don't deny Trent. Other churches and ecclesial Communities have their own declarations. I think they possess the authority to make those declarations, even though, ironically, they themselves may deny that authority! :-)

It just seems to me that canon is the first thing we fight over. It's the most obvious thing. We think it's also the easiest thing. But it isn't the easiest thing; it's complicated.

I shall pray for your sister; Catholicism will make her happy. The IBC document does for Scripture what Dominus Iesus does for salvation in Christ: tie-up all the stray statements in one place. I refer to it whenever I find myself falling back into biblical fundamentalism.

Matt said...

Yup, elements of the full truth exist in other ecclesial communities. However it can be said that even the devil uses "some" of the truth to keep people out of the Catholic Church.

Consider how the Father of Lies tempted Our Lord, by using elements of truth but twisting them. Consider how the muslim fanatics use their "elements of the truth" to forward their political agendas?

I actually applaud a lot of our ecumenical work. However some of it I think gives scandal because we teach people to "blosom where they are planted".

I kind of agree the Protestants have the authority to decree whatever they want in a way, because they are not in the Church. What they don't have is the teaching magisterium of the Church of Christ. The Church has the duty and right to counter heresy.

You might not know, because I don't think I've said this anywhere online, but Dei Verbum was the first Catholic Document I read. (It is in the front of my NAB). I was seriously impressed.

The more I study what the Church has actually taught the more convinced I am of how right it is. Its really amazing. My current endeavor with studying the scripture documents is only helping to solidify it.

Moonshadow said...

it can be said that even the devil uses "some" of the truth to keep people out of the Catholic Church.

Oh, my! Um, that's a new thought to me. I'm blushing.

Consider how the Father of Lies tempted Our Lord, by using elements of truth but twisting them.

I was reminded the other night that "the devils also believe." (James 2:18-20). So, "by good works ... make sure your calling and election." (2 Peter 1:10). Amen.

DV was the first one I read too ... for homework! :-)

The documents are impressive. Some Christians think ecclesial documents like these unnecessary, even a burden. But, they are delightful to read (Romans 7:22)!

On the mystery of those that appreciate Catholicism only from afar, I'm reminded of what Merton observed:

"In a certain sense, these people have a better appreciation of the Church and of Catholicism than many Catholics have: an appreciation which is detached and intellectual and objective. But they never come into the Church. They stand and starve in the doors of the banquet -- the banquet to which they surely realize that they are invited -- while those more poor, more stupid, less gifted, less educated, sometimes even less virtuous than they, enter in and are filled at those tremendous tables."

Raise your hand if you're more poor, more stupid, less gifted, less educated, even less virtuous!!!! C'est moi!

Peace.