Thursday, April 03, 2008

The director of the child care had told me that the caretakers would be on vacation last week, so even though the study met, I had to skip. Hard to believe that I'm the only woman in the group who needs child care.

And, when they met, the leader distributed a changed schedule. Because she found out that Part II, which we were to begin in less than a month, will not be available until July. Considering the production problems with Part I - missing pages, missing chapters! - I told her it was worth waiting for. It's nice when study materials are revised and updated, but everything new has bugs, doesn't it?

The leader did a nice work with the new schedule. After Part I, we'll do Amos and Hosea. It's been a while since I've studied those minor prophets. Most people take the summer off from study, so this way, they won't miss any of Isaiah. When the leader announced that after Part II this fall, we'll have finished the Old Testament and can move into the New Testament, there was some rejoicing among the ladies.

I asked the woman next to me why everyone was so happy about studying the New Testament, and she said that it's because the New Testament is easier to understand. Apparently this lady and the rest of them have already forgotten our struggle through Parts I-IV of the Book of Revelation, 2-4 years ago!

Not only has the printed material been updated, but the accompanying video has as well. And the speaker has injected references to Islam into her opening remarks. At 73, she usually begins by complaining about something, and I habitually give her some room to vent and recall the good old days. But today's prologue droned on. I asked aloud, "She is going to talk about the Bible?"

Then I took my Goldsworthy book and left the room. I don't think that the spectacle of Obama's Rev. Wright was on my mind but maybe. I have my own bigotry to work through; I'm not interested in taking on hers, too. So, I gave her a few minutes more, out of earshot and then, making my return, noticed that a woman from the class was coming out of bring me back.

No comments: