Thursday, April 03, 2008

She stopped bringing her chunky, clunky Life Application Bible because we've been out of the New Testament for weeks, on Tertullian now, and there just isn't much need for a Bible.

For this reason, the two slim black leather bibles at her place caught my eye tonight and, quickly noting the versions, I asked her as playfully as I could, "New bibles?"

She said Jim gave them to her. Someone had left them in the AV room following, presumably, one of the deacon's lectures.

"Are you interested in having them, Teresa?" Ho-boy: You who detest idols, do you rob temples?

I brought myself to my senses: "Thank you, but no, I have several copies of those versions already." 'Though not the thinline, I muttered to myself. She at least let me peruse one while she speculated on giving them to her daughter.

The print was very readable but no margins for note-taking. And, of course, no footnotes; neither were study bibles.

I thanked her, telling her they were very nice bibles and assuring her that someone in her son-in-law's congregation would be happy to have one.

She ended the conversation the only way she knows how, "They're Protestant Bibles, Teresa. Do you know that?" Yes, I told her, I was aware of that; the newer one published in 2001.

She can't possibly know that Crossway, like Zondervan before it, has separated this fool from her money in many different ways since then.

tags technorati :

No comments: