Monday, August 14, 2006

Figures that I have problems at the beach while I'm hosting company.

Jeff was by the water watching our stuff. My brother and his wife were watching their six-year old. I was watching the baby mostly on the playground designed for 2-5 year olds. The equipment is very familiar to him and he does fine on it.

Timmy had just run from that playground to one nearby for older children, 5-12 year olds. He ran up to the top. There was a toddler seated at the beginning of a covered slide, no doubt working up the courage to go down. Timmy eased his decision by giving him a deliberate, reflexive push and the toddler went down the slide crying.

The crying attracted my attention. I had not seen the push but I recreated the likely scenario in my mind after the fact. The toddler's mother ran to comfort him. She wasn't aware of what had happened either.

I tried to locate Tim from a distance. I suspected that he was involved. I started to walk towards the other playground mindful not to lose contact with the baby who could easily walk into the nearby parking lot.

I saw two boys, probably aged 7 and 6, punching and kicking someone at the top of the playground.

My six-year old ran towards me crying, "Mommy, something is wrong!" and I ran to the scene.

I heard the boys yelling, "He pushed that kid. Let's push him!" and I reached the top in time to see Tim turn towards these boys, trying to deflect their punches and kicks. But they succeeded in pushing him down the slide, head first on his back. I put my arms around them so that they could not get past me and I asked them, "Where are your parents? I don't appreciate what you have done."

They glanced in the direction of a group of adults, about a dozen, standing 30 yards away as the crow flies. I looked in the same direction and saw some men start towards us. Tim was crying very, very loudly, so I made my way down to him at the bottom of the slide. My baby had followed me and was making his way up as I passed him. I scooped up Tim and also grabbed my baby lest they attack him too. The father had some words for the boys, trying to ascertain what had happened. I said to him in passing, "Just a little vigilante justice taking place here." But he was a foreigner and probably could not understand my sarcasm.

The adults and the boys apologized again and again and again. They explained that the older one has "mental problems." He appeared to me to have Downs Syndrome. I repeatedly told them that it was ok, that Timmy was fine; he had it coming. I also apologized to the woman whose boy had been pushed initially. My Timmy is compulsive sometimes and takes advantage of the vulnerability of others. In other words, never turn your back on him.

It would have been alright except it was Timmy's birthday. So, I didn't think it was nice that he got beat up at the beach on his birthday.

No comments: