Wednesday, August 15, 2007

For years now on this day, I've mourned the death of someone I never met, the good matriarch of a Christian, South Korean family.

That isn't as creepy as it sounds, remembering a complete stranger, what with Presidents Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Christmas ... (those are birthdays! Yeah, I know) ...

I recall back to the time: some sought to comfort the bereaved by noting that the beloved passed on an important day in the Christian calendar.

While appreciating their good intentions and admitting her mother's own custom of also honoring that day, she was clear that she didn't inherit the same practice (Romans 14:5).

Now, after all this time, I wonder whether she's learned to honor the day, as her mother had.

Photo Credit: Rosary Altar, The Assumption, The Great Upper Church, Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, Washington, DC

No comments: