Friday, August 10, 2007

"Still Wet"

I've come to the conclusion that tradespeople have no aesthetic taste in their chosen craft.

The seller recommended grout color and saddle material to complement my Tuscania tile choice. I was told that grout turns the color of cement over time anyway, albeit unevenly, so better to start out uniformly gray and be done with it. Talk about cutting to the chase. I wonder whether he reads only the final chapter of books.

The tile itself, which I haven't walked on yet, I like.

I like the size, 18 X 18" and the color. I don't know yet whether I like the texture or the size of the grout lines. I asked for 1/8" and I got 1/4". I hope by the time they tile my master bathroom, they learn how to make smaller grout lines!

You can see that the walls will be some shade of peach. And the tile is gold but could pass for sand. Again, Jeff calls it "plywood color". Speaking of plywood, they added a second layer before tiling. So, if my figurin' is correct, there's an inch and a half subfloor ... recommended.

You can also see that this room used to be part of the garage, as the driveway is still directly in front of the window. The driveway will be widened but I don't know whether it will be moved. I don't want it moved, but Jeff wants landscaping in front of the window. We could just dig out a part of the driveway directly in front of the window and plant bushes there. We won't really know what's possible until a landscaper comes with ideas.

The room is on the south side of the house and gets lots of sunshine. The prevailing breezes also originate from the southerly direction.

I'm happy to have an excuse for not doing laundry as the floor dries. But clothes are beginning to pile up ... I may need to run to the laundromat if they don't hook up my machines again soon.

No comments: