Sunday, August 12, 2007

The thing about a laundromat is that you can't tell from the parking lot how busy it is. There were fewer cars there this morning compared with last night yet the place was twice as busy. Yeah, that's because most patrons walk in.

And I thought last night how hot the place was and I wondered what it would be like in the middle of an August day. Jeff said it would probably be the same and he was right, no hotter today than last night. Amazing. Credit the ceiling fans.

The proprietess complained to anyone who'd listen about her supposed case of strep throat and sinus infection, neither of which kept her from smoking at any opportunity. If you ask me, it was more likely bronchitis. Still, she's there because customers count on her.

She seemed to know her business, 'though. That's such a rare treat these days when just about everyone strikes me as a charlatan. Whether or not this was her place, she was helping folks operate the machines and offering tips on getting out stains.

One lady came all the way from Plainsboro, claiming that the township is closing up all the laundromats there. That's despicable but it wouldn't surprise me. Just another way of controlling what class of people lives in town.

I've never felt the impulse to put up a clothesline in my backyard but I'd like to think I could if I wanted. The Plainsboro woman and the proprietess talked about neighbors cutting down each other's clotheslines to send the message that hanging laundry outdoors is unacceptable. Sounds petty.

With any luck, my w/d will be hooked up again tomorrow and by the end of the week my new units should arrive.

No comments: