Sunday, August 12, 2007

Penney's and Sears went the same way, if I remember right: unilateral upgrade of the department store credit card to a Visa. I dumped both store-branded cards as a result.

It's Macy's turn.

I declined the upgrade over the phone but had to use my existing card to keep the account open.

Do I want to keep it open, with its $500 credit limit?

It seems to me I exceeded that limit once when I bought a couple of outfits for a funeral.

Will I use the card more often now that online account management is available? No, I visit Macy's once or twice a year for perfume, makeup and Christmas presents for my mom (perfume). That's not changing.

What to buy, then?

I've been considering a new pocketbook to replace my eight-year-old black canvas number that's fading. I selected a slightly smaller purse - my Franklin Planner1 may not fit inside - to stop me stuffing it. It was 30% off.

Check-out was complicated because my outdated store card was useless. The young cashier remarked to her older co-worker, "I've never even seen one of these cards!" But I was able to produce proper ID and provide personal information perfectly, so the purchase proceeded to completion.

If I could have found the exact same handbag as I have, if I could have replaced my existing purse, I would have. It's more of an early messenger bag from Mudd ... I was already too old for it when I bought it.

1 Oops, I need to order my pages for next year, beginning September 2007.

"Name change has hurt Macy's": Decision to drop "Lazarus" not a hit here," The Columbus Dispatch, 06/06/06

Federated Department Stores - Wiki

No comments: