Wednesday, January 31, 2007

I've more or less recovered from a tumble down the stairs last Wednesday morning. It's the second time that I've fallen down the stairs in this house however, in this instance, I wasn't carrying anyone. I don't think that I broke anything either. Even so, the outer part of my left heel is still sore enough to force a limp.

The tumble itself hurt.
I was barefoot and lost my grip on the railing as I slid. My right knee is gimpy to begin with and its stiffness may have contributed to the fall. Certainly the carpal tunnel of my right hand has weakened my ability to hold onto anything firmly. As comfortable as my Dutailier glider rockers are, hours spent in them cripple folks my age. As does cuddling a baby, no matter how pleasurable it is. I remember the carpal tunnel with my first baby: my hands and arms were useless after a month of caring for him. And I thought, "Why doesn't anyone tell you this?! I would have paced myself for the long haul!"

And, honestly, for a couple of days after the fall, my body was as sore as after Ella's delivery. I'm serious. I must have really tensed up, especially to protect my head against bumping on each step. It's like the aftereffects of a car accident, I suppose. All that intense bracing.

And to think, our new floor plan calls for a second staircase in the back of the house. That's just what I need.

No comments: