Thursday, May 25, 2006

Bought my season beach badge this morning. For Belmar.

I always go to Belmar. It's a straight shot over. I don't have to diddle north or south when I get to the Shore. Others tell me Avon is more sophisticated and Bradley Beach is more family-oriented but I'm familiar with Belmar even though it's a dirty beach. The kids like to drive past the train station and like eating Italian ice at Strollo's on 5th and Main ... 'though I noticed some renovation taking place when I passed by on my way home. I hope that doesn't interfere with their service this summer!

Oh, forgot to mention that the season beach badge costs $50. Seniors can get one for $15. Where's the justice in that, tell me? Folks who can go any time, any day pay less than me?! How do I claim their cheapskate reputation for myself so that my prices come down too?

The baby and I walked down the boardwalk from the 5th Ave. Pavilion where I bought my badge, to the 8th Ave. playground. I mean, I put a couple of quarters in the parking meter. I always park at a meter along the boardwalk if I can. I would not want to park on the street in front of someone's house because if that were my house, I wouldn't want anyone parking in front. But plenty of people do park on the street. I'd also rather not walk so far to the beach and not have to cross Ocean Ave., especially with the kids in tow because drivers can be careless.

With Chris, 'though, it's not so much of a walk as it is a meander. He checked out every parking meter along the way ... looking for extra time leftover?

He has a lot to learn about the playground this summer but he learned a lot today already, like how to get up the stairs without crawling. He's still a little afraid of sand and wants me to hold his hand through it. The playground is on the beach but enclosed in a snow fence so little ones don't dash towards the water. In this particular instance, 'though, the snow fence has been mowed down in a couple of spots either by mischievous ATVers' four-wheelers or expedient beach attendants' John Deere Gators. In any event, repairs are needed in the snow fence at the 8th Ave. playground. But I hardly ever go to the 8th Ave. playground.

Now, two summers ago, we went every week to the beach. I was expecting Chris in October so I still had a bit of energy through the summer. Kenny wasn't in camp yet and Tim was almost two years old, so he could get around pretty good. Last year, with Kenny in camp and the baby not walking, the beach didn't seem like a good idea. And the price of gas was so high and I had just gotten the new, gas-guzzling SUV. This summer, Kenny will still be in camp but the baby is able to get around and Tim loves playing in the sand.

Whenever visitors come from out of state, they can't believe that we pay to use the beach. I don't know how it works in other coastal states.

No comments: