Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Called to sign up my eldest, the five-year-old, for his first year of catechism.

I asked to homeschool him but Jean, the DRE, said that is not permitted in the 1st and 2nd grades. I was so dejected. He'll be upset too. I can't bear to think of him sitting in those dusty trailers with 30 other children. Heaven only knows what he will learn.

But, the restrictive policy on homeschooling tells me that the catechetical program is all about sacrament prep. Two years at the beginning and two years at the end. When I taught, and I did teach for Jean for one year ... it was a nightmare because I could never get a babysitter ... but, when I taught, I never taught a sacrament year. Well, except once I taught a confirmation class. But that was only one year, not even a full year because they were confirmed in February or March.

Anyway, in my previous experience of a catechetical program, the focus was on passing the diocesan tests in third, fifth and seventh grade. And, then the emphasis was on the sacraments in second and eighth. I taught fourth grade for all of my years, so I taught the book, the textbook, and introduced them to the New Testament Gospels and didn't have to worry about preparing them for tests or sacraments.

I was able to teach Catholic stuff, like the works of mercy, the Beatitudes, all of the sacraments, the rosary and other prayers. Some of it might be considered trivia or esoteric, especially for their age. But it was in the textbook and it interested me, so I taught it.

I wish that Jean would make an exception for my son this year.

No comments: