Wednesday, May 03, 2006

I'm not on top of everything but I set priorities and like to think that I accomplish those. One of those priorities is day camp for my eldest son.
Before camp ended last summer, he was registered and paid in full for this summer. For less money than last summer, he'll attend two weeks more because we prepaid. The health form deadline was May 1st. I'm on the wrong cycle with his physicals. I would like an actual physical performed in the fall for school and then, since a physical is good for one year, just have the doctor sign off on the camp's health form without redoing an exam. But, instead of this ideal, a new physical is performed in the spring for camp and, ultimately, this physical carries forward for school. I guess camp could be more physically demanding, so maybe it isn't all bad.

Anyway, the baby was due for an 18 mos. checkup in early April. I scheduled the five-year-old's physical and the baby's immunizations for the same day/time. It turns out that Tim was in the midst of his suspected rotavirus affliction in early April, so I lumped him in with the other two and the doctor examined all three. The camp health form was filled out but circumstances related to Tim's illness and hospitalization resulted in a delay of submitting the health form to the camp. I drive past the camp on the way home from the doctor's office and it's always tempting to pop in there and drop it off at the office. Especially because I don't trust the mail in my town. I'll tell you why in July because it marks a significant anniversary. But I don't drop off the form because I prefer to make a copy for my records first.

I follow the mailing of the health form up with a phone call to their office to make sure that they have received it and checked it off. Did I tell you that I don't trust the mail in my town?

On my first attempt to verify receipt, I caught the office gal towards the end of the workday and she had already shut down her computer but she thought that she remembered seeing the name. Now, they have 1,000's of kids at this camp but their staff is very good, so I was not surprised that she thought she recalled seeing his health form. Still, I thought better to check again, so I called a couple of days later and asked whether the health form had been received. I was told very quickly that, yes, his health form had been received and checked off. Again, it was as if the person was recalling this information from memory instead of from the computer because she didn't ask me to spell the camper's last name or anything.

So, some paperwork from the camp arrived yesterday for validation. And a highlighted item for immediate attention was a MISSING HEALTH FORM! I freaked because, well, yesterday was after the deadline. It was already after 5 pm but I called and left a message. I called again this morning. Michelle looked it up in the computer and she said that the form has been received. It's just ridiculous that things are so complicated. Kenny really has fun at this camp and I don't want him to miss out.

Although, lately he's been saying that he wants to attend the day camp held at his school. I am not keen on that. It's a fairly academic camp and I don't want him to get burned out on that. He's interested because they have a robot camp but I think that's for the older kids because it involves travel. I want him playing games, making crafts, swimming and out in the fun sun this summer. Not cooped up in his ol' day school. Actually, he says he can't wait until he's old enough for sleep away camp. That's gonna be a while!

No comments: