Thursday, May 11, 2006

WNBC 4 NY video news story: Students Head North of Border to Drink Legally:
Many students from the tri-state area enrolled at colleges near Canada cross the border to take advantage of a lower drinking age.

This story has some validity because, as an undergraduate at SUNY Buffalo, I went to a Canadian bar to drink once. I can't remember who drove, probably Gracie. And, being from LI, she wanted to visit Canada. So, we went only for the thrill of it and, having been to Canada many times myself, it wasn't very exciting.

The year before, the French Club's spring trip to Quebec ... well, I was old enough to drink on that trip, and some sophomores gave me a hard time for not buying alcohol for them. They thought I was hungover most of the time and they were jealous. (Silly) But I was suffering from severe allergies ... like I am right now. I looked like hell and felt too awful to drink.

So, except for the thrill of visiting another country, I see no reason to drive so far for drink especially when Buffalo-area liquor stores deliver booze to campus and don't give a damn about checking ID cards.

The suggestion given in the video to drop the drinking age is insane. A better suggestion is to limit students' access to transportation. And catch up with liquor stores that deliver to underage students.

No comments: