Friday, June 23, 2006

By way of Singing in the Reign:

Rocco Palmo's suggestion that Stephen Colbert is a devout Catholic doesn't surprise me at all. In fact, I assumed as much, even though I have never watched him in action or heard him speak. After seeing a still or two, I can read it in his face.

Some quotes from Rocco Palmo's assessment:

"Some people in this church really hate Stephen Colbert right now. Why, you ask? Because he had the temerity to be candid before George Bush -- who, so we're told, is the real head of the US church ... Well, friends, some of you will be shocked to learn that Colbert is one of us. Really. (And that Bush isn't.)"

That last bit isn't news to me! Good grief.

Methodist Bishops Repent Iraq War "Complicity": Carder said. "At the heart of the Christian faith is the willingness to acknowledge mistakes."

---

From the commencement speech that Colbert gave to students at Knox College, also taken from Palmo's blog:

"Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don’t learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us. Cynics always say no. But saying 'yes' begins things. Saying 'yes' is how things grow. Saying 'yes' leads to knowledge. 'Yes' is for young people. So for as long as you have the strength to, say 'yes.'"

PS: oh, and I have great sympathy for Bart Ehrman. It doesn't take much to arrive at his same conclusions.

3 comments:

Moonshadow said...

Found this Colbert interview, too:

TONY: You created The Daily Show religious-satire segment, "This Week in God." How do you square your Catholicism with comedy?

SC: I love my Church, and I'm a Catholic who was raised by intellectuals, who were very devout. I was raised to believe that you could question the Church and still be a Catholic.

Chris said...

Thought you might enjoy this.

Colbert recites Nicene Creed on show

Moonshadow said...

I appreciate your comment and, as I say, it doesn't surprise me.

But, uh, my Mac doesn't run Com. Cent.'s videos.

If I get a chance later on the kids' WinXP computer upstairs, I'll take a peek.