Monday, June 12, 2006

Truth be told, my front passenger seat is usually littered with papers and wrappers and plastic bags. The seat also sports an organizer bulging with CDs and sunglasses, a cell phone and some essential cosmetics: eye shadow, lipstick, mascara. Stuff I should use more often but don't.

But I ought to leave that seat free for Elijah, whenever he may come along.

I mean, it's difficult to convince walkers to accept a lift from me with that clutter hogging their seat.

But the lady today admitted she couldn't see too well. That's probably why she hardly hesitated to climb in. Her poor eyesight made it dangerous for her friends to drop her off in the middle of a congested intersection.

The car stopped in the travel lanes just after clearing the intersection. There is no shoulder but plenty of parking spaces in the nearby lot. Some motorists started going around and other started honking. I was directly behind and could have gone around. But I thought I would stay in case they needed help. Eventually, the woman stepped out, looking disoriented. I thought she might need help finding her car but instead she said she was going to the Verizon store to exchange a bad cell phone.

We were kitty corner from the Verizon store and she intended to walk, back through the busy intersection. Nah, I told her to get in, as I tossed most of the uncomfortable pieces -- remote control, cell phone, book -- to the back seat. She still had to sit with her back against my carseat organizer and contend with a full box of Cheez-its on the floor in front of her.

I did a U-turn right in the middle of that intersection, to a chorus of honking horns. It took me a minute to get her over to the front of the Verizon building and she was grateful. She told me that she needs to walk back to the Wegmans to shop and to meet up with her friends again to take her home. I was tempted to wait for her to finish her business at the Verizon store then drive her over there for safety's sake but I figured she would decline, so I didn't offer.

'round here, 'though, ya never know when you're gonna get a rider. And I ought to keep my front seat clear.

No comments: