Monday, June 26, 2006

First day of camp, a washout.

Last summer started this way, too. Kenny came home this afternoon and told me that camp wasn't really very much fun because they didn't do anything. $100 / day, ugh.

I drove by his camp on the way back from the doctor's office and also by another popular camp in town ... and the kids at THAT camp were out and about, playing and stuff, but Kenny's camp was deathly quiet ... everyone was inside.

Oh, well, it can only get better, right? Maybe his bus will even be on time tomorrow.

Things just don't seem to be how they ought to be. The bus is supposed to have a counselor ... I didn't see one. The bus was late, coming and going. I looked at this week's schedule of activities and I didn't see his old favorites: zipline, for instance. He was supposed to do bumper boats today but the rain prevented that.

As I said the other day, his "adult counselor" is probably barely 20. No offense, but show me a 20 year-old who can manage 14 boys for seven hours a day. The counselors are supposed to be school teachers out on summer vacation.

Well, next week I'll make my visit and see how things have settled down. Maybe he won't be going back there next year. Too bad because it really is the best camp around. So what does that say about the other day camps?

No comments: