Sunday, June 11, 2006

I mentioned before that the neighbor girl would receive confirmation this year. That took place last Tuesday but I wasn't able to attend.

On the Sunday before the ceremony, that is, on Pentecost Sunday, I saw her and her entire family at the 11 o'clock Mass. I hardly ever see them at Mass. I mean, that's just how it is. So, I recognized them immediately. There was a practice session for confirmation following Mass, so I think they attended for that reason.

Now, the girl's father is Jewish. And the Gospel reading for Pentecost is the upper room experience from John, 20:19-23 with that bothersome phrase "for fear of the Jews." A phrase that Father did not read. He glossed right over it.

Ordinarily I'm not one for editing the Gospel proclamation on the fly but in this case, I was quite pleased that he left that phrase out. I think it reflects in-house fighting. I think John's Gospel has Samaritan influences. However, this detail is subtle and most people can't get past the face value of the text.

In other words, I don't think that my neighbor would have understood the expression "for fear of the Jews" in any way other than antagonistically, so it's just as well that Father left it off.

No comments: