Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Back-to-back field trips. It wasn't supposed to be this way.

I couldn't stomach the bus this time, getting noticeably motion sick yesterday. There wasn't room for me anyway. I wasn't an official chaperone and I had Chris with me. See the pictures.

What a drive over there, to Hazlet!

I had Jeff look up the directions last night just in case I lost the bus. The driver had mentioned Tennent Rd., 79, Church St., Bethany Rd., and Middle Rd., so I fed those parameters to Jeff. And as he described the Google maps results to me, fragmented, ancient memories of that segment of Monmouth Cnty came back to me in odd ways:
Lemme see, there's a China Buffet in the shopping plaza there ...

... St. John Vianney High School is near there ...

... isn't that exit 117?

... the Holmdel Post Office and a fire station ...

... oh, I remember it being so congested, narrow streets, under construction!

... and North Beers St. ... I went to Dr. Penney's Holmdel office once after Tim was born ...

... I went out the "back-way" from the Holmdel building, past the post office and picked up Bethany to 35, to the China Buffet once ....
Jeff said, looking at the map, "Yes, that's Telegraph Hill Road." And the memories flooded back, in dribs and drabs. But it's been almost eight years since I worked in Holmdel.

Green Meadows was crowded! A popular place, I guess. Don't know why. I mean, it was ok. Timmy liked it very much. Chris had a good time. I guess the thing is that we live in the country, so visiting a farm isn't so novel. It's more for the "city kids" over there in eastern Monmouth County. Actually, schools in South Amboy and Plainfield (Cook Elementary School) made the trip, if you can believe it.

No comments: