Sunday, October 01, 2006

United 93 came via Netflix last week. I found the low-key, slow pace, at least early on, appropriate.

I mean, I found the early chaos understated, as all terrible things must be, because the full-impact overwhelms.

I mistook Jeremy Glick for Todd Beamer for nearly all of the movie, tsk, tsk. It wasn't until Beamer mentioned his two boys that I figured it out. Jeff's acquaintance was the man who ducked into the bathroom and called 911 before the counter-offensive.

Insofar as we haven't any true idea of the majority of the dialogue, I found it similar to watching The Perfect Storm.

Subtitles on the Muslim prayers would have been helpful in providing some insight into Islamic spirituality. I mean, I wonder what they were (likely) praying, whether the prayers were improvised (spontaneous), memorized or mantra-like.

And the ending, which failed to depict clearly who was doing what, met my expectations.

1 comment:

Moonshadow said...

Thanks for your comment.

Sunday birthdays are nice, aren't they? Mine was on Sunday this year too.

I haven't a hope to visit a theater for Stone's movie but plan to catch it on DVD or cable when available.

Inside the Twin Towers on Discovery Times?

We watched it also.

My heart went out to the widow who was angry at her husband for staying behind to help someone. I can't blame her a bit for her feelings.

I tried watching Exodus Decoded again.

It's better if I listen without looking ... the visual effects are distracting.

But I found myself asking, "What's the point?" Yet another instance of someone providing answers to questions I have never asked ("Did the Exodus really happen?" Of course it did!)

Well, if it helps someone with doubts, that's fine.

From a review:

The filmmaker does not try to take "God out of the equation" but merely makes the case that in miraculously intervening in human history God chose to use, rather than suspend, his laws of nature to achieve his divine plan.

In trying to find a "plausible scientific explanation" for Biblical events, the film misses a very important point: The Bible is a testament of faith, not a history or science book, written by authors who, inspired by the Holy Spirit, were trying to discern and understand God's hand in the drama of salvation.