Tuesday, October 31, 2006

I listened to the first ten minutes of this last Thursday and need to listen to the rest. Although I thought the little I heard was blasphemous. And I don't use that term lightly.

Now, she claims that her apostasy came about by reading the Bible.

And thinking that, she could probably still hold the Catholic Church responsible, in that they didn't teach her how to read the Bible and retain her Christian faith at the same time.

Because we tend to come at it with this idealized view, this high esteem for the sacred text. Then we're scandalized by what we read. She had a problem with Jesus being "not nice". Read a favorite Salinger quotation here.

Sure, she knew about the moneychangers' tables getting overturned. They had it coming. But, isn't he rude to immediate family in John 2 and Mark 3? Of course, we bring alot of ourselves to the text we read. Scripture is a mirror sometimes, a view into our own souls.

I don't want to blame her, but she's lazy if she stops where she is. That's all I'm saying. And arrogant if she thinks that she's the only one who's come to this crossroads or that she's taken the inevitable turning.

No comments: