Thursday, October 12, 2006

Forgot my Bible this morning. Don't know how that happened. Actually I do know how. I needed two trips between house and car and made only one before my husband shut the door.

I noticed what was missing as I loaded up my arms with the rest of it after parking in the church lot.

I stole into the sanctuary and swiped a pew Bible.

Its moderate wear - a few ripped and several dog-eared pages - distracted me. My Bibles aren't that way. Moreover, I am plenty experienced in the art of book repair, if only I had had a roll of Scotch Magic Tape.

In lieu of that, I undog-eared as many pages as I could. Apologies to the poor sap who regularly sits there for removing the shortcuts to favorite passages.

But I can't imagine anyone sitting there, not regularly. I tried it myself, in the balcony, extreme stage left. After the study, as I returned the pew Bible, I hung out, just to listen.

The focus of worship, I don't want to call it a "stage," was cluttered with metal sheet music stands, a drum kit, a grand piano carefully covered, amps and footlights. I could not focus there. But I am accustomed to focusing there, at an altar, a crucifix, a tabernacle. There was none of that, of course.

I'm not saying that no One was there. I wouldn't say that. I don't believe that. But without anyone there, I mean, leading worship, the space seemed empty. Calling to mind The Presence took effort.

I visited only once, on a Sat. evening. The service was geared towards younger people, replete with video and rock music. I tried to enjoy it but it was simply too loud. "Axis Denied: Willow Creek ends 'church-within-church' for 20-somethings" - CT, 9/22/06.

In the darkened, silent, sacred space, I knelt, mostly out of curiosity, to ascertain whether sufficient room for kneeling existed.

Kneeling there was comfortable enough. But I was afraid that someone would enter and catch me. I got up. And then left, wondering whether two hours spent in there might have been better than two hours at the Bible study. I'm thinking that it would have been.

No comments: