Saturday, October 28, 2006

"Commission looks for balance in English liturgical translations" - CNS, 10/27/06.

I thought the translation work was a done deal.
"Provided the Latin is rendered faithfully, we are keen to keep terminology the people are familiar with."

[Cardinal Pell] described some of the phrases as "too grammatical" in the sense that they sound like they are the result of an advanced grammar lesson rather than a faithful translation into a living language.
Alright, I'll hold off longer on buying new missals.

I hope this diddling hasn't, as someone suggested, anything in common with Titanic deck chairs.

I mean, I hope that the frantic tweaking reflects not ditch efforts to rescue the Novus Ordo from an inevitable going-the-way-of-the-dodo. For all I know, it's a ruse, to signal ... or even accelerate ... that demise. So someone can declare afterwards, "Fixing it proved unworkable, so we scrapped the entire enterprise in favor of the 'time-tested' model."

No comments: