Sunday, December 17, 2006

In the mail last week came a beautiful post card of my neighbor's house, courtesy of the local real estate office. Using the MLS number printed on the notice, I checked the offer online.

At one time or another over the past 18 mos., all of our immediate neighbors have had their homes on the market.

None of the families have lived here more than three years. And none of the homes have sold.

It's hard to generalize about their motivation to sell their homes. It's tempting to think that they are out to capitalize on their investment. But these families have children. I've been led to believe that moving has a negative impact on children.

The occasion to speak with my neighbor doesn't arise with any regularity and, even if it did, I don't think that I would ask her about her decision to sell her home. She's made only positive comments about living here. Her husband has a long commute, just like everyone. Being from LI, things here may be too rural. She's found the hike to the private day schools in Princeton too far.

They're asking high 7's. They paid 6 but have renovated about 100 grand worth. Factor in the commission and they don't stand to make much. It's a cute house. I'd like to see it sell.

No comments: