Sunday, December 31, 2006

Yes, I did get this for Christmas.

Of course, I did.

And I've even listened to it, over those few days last week when I was schlepping back and forth to the hospital to feed Ella before they released her.

I think that George is finally taking the substances that he denounced or denied in his protégés.

Well, I'd have to hear it in context, I suppose. With the show.

I'm not sure whether being intimately familiar with their music and other recordings (Christmas radio specials, for instance) is such an advantage. I mean, some pieces that he's combined ... uh, I just don't hear sufficient synergy to justify mixing them.

It's only been one hearing, so I ought to try again.

But, then, I'm afraid of confusing my memory with this strong variation.

I mean, I know their songs. I remember them being a certain way and here are these new arrangements. It's different from hearing a band in concert, you know, when they may ad lib, making familiar songs come out fresh, because there's nothing original here.

George's voice on one of them, "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," I think, is really perfect.

No comments: