Saturday, December 02, 2006

One of my acquaintances is upset about this:

"Extraordinary ministers of Eucharist barred from purifying vessels", Catholic News Service, 10/24/06.

It would trouble me greatly if it results in communion under only one species.

Yet, think about it: Extraordinary Ministers of Eucharist function in the first place to distribute communion whenever a shortage of ordinary ministers, namely priests, deacons and acolytes, exists. So, a shortage of ordinary ministers for distribution is likely to translate into a shortage for purification, right?

Truth be told, I have not seen my parish's deacon for months and months.

Prior to the '02 indult, I was purifying vessels under the watchful eye of a deacon. I'm not sure what the direction was in those days. I never asked. I just did as I was told.

Tuesday morning after Mass, the extraordinary ministers, two laywomen, cleared the vessels from the sanctuary to the sacristy while Father Mike took his usual position in the narthex to greet exiting parishioners. In my opinion, pastor "face time" is more important than "cloister time" doing dishes.

But, still, things have changed, so how come the laywomen are still cleaning up?

An article in this week's diocesan newspaper holds the answer:
"Reviewing the directive and its potential impact in the diocese, Father Sam Sirianni, director of the diocesan Office of Worship, said the diocese is awaiting further clarification from the U. S. Conference of Catholic Bishops' Committee on the Liturgy. Meanwhile, he said, Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion will continue to assist the priests and deacons of their parishes with the purification of the vessels.

'Until the proper catechesis has been prepared and disseminated by the Office of Bishop John M. Smith to all parishes on how this regulation will be implemented in the diocese, no practice in the diocese should be changed.'

With regard to the reception of Holy Communion by the faithful under both species, Father Sirianni said that in the diocese the option continues to be 'encouraged and highly recommended.'"
I'm actually surprised by this. What "proper catechesis" would be necessary? It's straightforward: hey, you laity, stop doing the dishes. Am I missing something?

Our bishop is progressive but orthodox. Fr. Sirianni is a stickler. Yet this seems like open disobedience. What's happening on the national level? What's the American bishops response in general?

It could well be that the change will take effect this weekend, the First Sunday of Advent. It's a behind-the-scenes change; only extraordinary ministers themselves are affected. Provided that the pastor doesn't forego greeting parishioners after Mass or fall back to communion under one species. Those sorts of things would impact all of us detrimentally.

The bishop is scheduled to be in Highstown tomorrow to bless the new addition at St. Anthony's. Maybe I'll attend the blessing Mass and ask him what's up with all this. He'll have to talk to me; I'll bring my receipt from his most recent annual Bishop's Appeal!

No comments: