Sunday, December 17, 2006

When Tim was out of school sick last Tuesday, I took him, at his request, to Jenkinson's Aquarium in Point Pleasant Beach. He wasn't that sick. I took him to the doctor's office afterwards to be sure.

Kenny was a little jealous but not much. Still, I agreed to take them again soon. I'm not in a position to make long-term promises these days as all heaven may break loose at any time! So, "soon" was today.

And it was the day: balmy, sunny and relaxing. I took all three and left Jeff to tinker around at home. No, he didn't put up the outdoor lights, so what?! But I think that he did a ton of online ordering in our absence because he warned me, "By Wednesday, things are gonna start arriving!"

The parking lot was fuller than on Tuesday but the aquarium was just as empty. More employees than patrons. The boardwalk was fairly busy for a Sunday in December. Things were open. I guess Pt. Pleasant doesn't completely shutdown at Labor Day. Good thing because my kids were hungry.

But, discipline: we walked the aquarium first. It's small, I mean, "manageable". But, lots to see in each tank, things kids love - sting rays, sharks, alligators, seals, penguins, snakes and tropical fish. The poison frogs are so adorable. Every time they moved, Chris squealed.

The staff had the python out for "exercise" in an area upstairs. That made me nervous but my kids kept their distance. Afterwards, another employee had a box turtle out for the same purpose. The kids were less afraid of a puny turtle and I reminded Kenny of the time that he rescued a turtle from the roadway.

I had planned on lunch/dinner at the McDonald's on 9 in Howell because of the outdoor playground. But the boys wanted local fare. Kenny's favorite is chicken parm and, fortunately, in NJ, chicken parm is always on the menu, no matter what. The other two wanted pizza. The prices were steep, no off-season discount here. $6 for the frozen and fried parm and $3 for a slice. Sure, the slice was nearly a quarter of a pie but it's cardboard. I mean, also previously frozen, not fresh-made.

Nonetheless, I can see why Jenkinson's is so popular.

No comments: