Thursday, October 30, 2008

The cost of four new tires was insane, roughly twice the price quoted me last week. Even $100 more than the price quoted this morning, at which time I approved the work. The service staffer said of today's quote, "That won't be the price," in a tone suggesting the price would be lower.

I broke the news to Jeff and felt bad about trusting the original estimate. I'm not sure why the shop can't price out tires accurately. Are values that fluid? I actually think that the service department staff lied to me, even in presenting that second quote. That's an incredible thing for me to say. It's incredible that a shop I've done business with for eight years would be less than meticulous in their quotes.

Then again, this is the same dealership that doctored a carfax report.

I almost said to the guy as he rung up the charge, "What am I going to tell my husband?" Might he himself be the sort of guy who'd chew out his wife for something like this, not demanding an accurate quote?

The guy showed me that two years ago I pay just $300 less for four new tires. Just two years ago?! Jeff thought these were the original tires. The guy said I got about 42,000 miles on these tires. 42,000 miles in two years?! 400 miles a week?! I drive that much? Where am I going?! I know this: I get 250 miles on a tank of gas and I fill up twice a week, one day earlier each time. 16 miles per gallon. But I hardly ever leave the county.

No comments: