Tuesday, October 14, 2008

David Gibson asks, "Can you deny a bishop communion?"

The answer, of course, is YES! However, since this African bishop won't actually be voting this November and is simply speaking hypothetically, Gibson's question is clearly rhetorical.

Anyway, read the piece as it's refreshing to get the perspective of someone who isn't rooted (mired?) in the American Christian milieu.

I have to say, I had lunch with a South African friend today who recently moved to TN and, despite our many differences - especially theologically- I always felt like she accepted me. In the years I'd known her, she never seemed susceptible to all that emotional baggage American Christians typically carry around.

2 comments:

Matt said...

what about all the emotional baggage African Christians carry around? :) we've all got something we tote around. Btw I liked the esv study bible count down! That true version loyalty!

Moonshadow said...

The baggage she was spared in SA was the mixed blessing we Americans experience of growing up amid religious diversity. She never pigeonholed me for my Catholicism. She knows no suspicion. She never leapt to conclusions about my convictions owing to my affiliation but allowed me to make my own case for things without thinking she could anticipate my argument. She never once presumed to tell me, "You Catholics believe ..."

A rare friend ...

The ESV countdown clock - yeah, I got that from TommyMertonHead (aka iMonk aka Michael Spencer) over at Boars Head Tavern. He doesn't seem to be a fan of the ESV but I'm simply stunned by the marketing associated with this release. I'm doing my best to mock it. But, that's Crossway for you.