Wednesday, October 29, 2008

via Kim at Hiraeth:


I'm somewhat ashamed to say that I have this one in leather and hardcover, both bought from WTS Bookstore during the summers of '05 and '07, respectively. I also have Sproul's RSB in the NKJV, put out by Nelson, bought sometime before that.

I don't know how the notes compare with those of Crossway's ESV Study Bible but it would seem that Sproul isn't interested in competing.

This might be a good opportunity for a church to switch their pew Bible to the ESV, 'though churches don't tend to stock full-blown study editions in their pews. Such a decision may not be entirely expense-dependent either.

Many times I've lamented that I'm not in a study at the moment based on the ESV. And clearly, I need another one of these like a hole in my head. But isn't it hard to pass up a good deal? One can always use his notes for insight into how the other side thinks. That is, exploring contrasts fosters more complete understanding. Protestant catechisms deal in rhetoric juxtaposition all the time: Here's the Catholic view ... and here's the biblical view ... You get the idea.

Link to offer.

No comments: