Friday, October 03, 2008

During the Isaiah study Thursday morning, reading chapters 44 and 45 and dating them to about 740 BCE, one participant uttered in a squeaky voice,
"Isaiah mentions Cyrus by name 150 years before he's born!"
Shocked, I thought to myself, "Wow, people believe this."

How about, let's talk about Isaiah calling Cyrus "the Messiah ..."

Dating of prophetic writings is a factor in the Daniel study as well: a participant who just completed the Kerygma program at her PCUSA church, brought and referenced her study materials, letting us all know that Daniel was written in the second century BCE.

Shocked again, I thought, "Wow, someone here believes this!"

But, the PCA leader immediately pointed out all the implications a late date brings to any divinely-inspired text purporting to predict future events.

I've learned how to suspend disbelieve for the sake of the study ... and for those in the study. But, at the same time, I don't want anyone who thinks differently from the majority to feel uncomfortable ... or, God forbid, wrong.

So, I tried to let her know that I also date the book late - and that there is still stuff to be learned regardless. Amen?

No comments: