Thursday, October 30, 2008

Traditionally, right after a son has entered school, we buy him a new bed.

Chris started school later than his older brothers by about a year. Besides, there was the issue of the house remodel and spending on new furniture for the kitchen, family room and our bedroom. Now that's all over, except Jeff still needs office furniture.

So, on Monday, I browsed the furniture store that we've always used for the kids' bedroom stuff. The older boys who share a room have matching twin beds but I wasn't keen on getting another one of those. Even though they all three insist on me letting them share a bedroom together, I don't think that's ever going to happen again ... as it did during construction.

Just as well because that style of bed ("Roma") is no longer available.

They've improved design and these come with box springs. I'm not a fan of box springs for children's beds but they are low-profile so he ought to be able to get in and out alright. This one is called "Jonah" and I ordered it in the Coffee finish as seen here:



It is also available in white so if he and his sister still share a room in a year or two when she's ready for a bed, I can get the same style. Then, the idea is that the eldest will one day have his own bedroom, so he can use the Jonah and the other boys will share together the twin set.

Now on Monday the salesperson estimated delivery in 3 to 4 months. That seems about twice as long as usual but I said ok. Today when we actually ordered the thing, she said, "How does the end of December sound for delivery?" Terrible, I said, as we will probably be out of town. I really was counting on a Jan/Feb. delivery, you see. Well, whatever.

The other thing is that they were having a sale, 20% off all furniture. Great, right? But not on mattresses and box springs and, even though I haven't priced those things out recently, I'd say the store made up any furniture discount on what they charged for them! I probably should have agreed to go those items somewhere else for less.

And Chris understood when I told him the bed was too big to fit in my car, that a delivery truck would have to bring it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sam's Club for the mattress/box spring? We've gotten all the kids' there, Sealy, for about 300 beans (full size). Although you've probably already ordered....

JC

Moonshadow said...

Well, yeah, I already ordered ... and it was $150 more than you quoted.