Saturday, November 22, 2008

During their tennis lesson this morning, I read the first chapter of Ruth. Nice story so far.

The introduction class was Thursday morning during which we typically walk through the biblical timeline from Genesis to our book of interest. Don't have to go too far to reach Ruth this way. So, to kill the two hours, we went into greater depth. And last year's study of Genesis (thank you, Janet) was still surprisingly fresh. Not everyone was as familiar, so I looked like some kind of Bible genius, at least until we got to Exodus. Even our study leader admitted to being rusty on Exodus and she made a mental note that it might be time to study it again.

Study really makes a difference with these historical narrative books.

I'm amazed at how often the ladies can't guess the order of the Pentateuch. I mean, no, they shouldn't be guessing, they ought to know it by heart. Fundamentalist Protestantism is going soft, I tells ya.

Last week I picked up the Anchor Bible commentary on Ruth at the public library. I also looked on my bookshelves to see that Block's commentary on Judges comes coupled with Ruth. Two ought to be enough, considering the perspectives.

My first question, 'though, is why during famine did the family head for Moab rather than Egypt? I mean, like, Moab is in the opposite direction. No doubt, someone will tell me it's historical. Maybe, but it also means something, yes?

No comments: