Saturday, November 29, 2008

Searches for Fr. John Zeitler have brought a couple of surfers here recently because I have one post in which I mention him.

I didn't really expect that Fr. John was still around but, out of curiosity, I searched on his name myself. And found that, not only is he still around, but he's "Priest of the Month" for Nov. 2008. And, he's a monsignor now, of course.

Earlier this year, he received the Baker Award. Here's the announcement in OLPH's bulletin:


Click to enlarge

And, no, that isn't a picture of Fr. Zeitler above.

You can see him here:


The entire PDF file is cached here but here are some pertinent excerpts:
In May, 1958, his boyhood friend, Joe Bissonette, was ordained a Catholic Priest. John recalls, “That was the year I said to Joe, ‘I’m not happy in law school.’ And he said, ‘Why don’t you try the seminary? Give the priesthood a try. You and I, we always thought alike.’”

Fr. John’s first assignment was on the Missionary Apostolate at St. Joseph’s Parish in Bliss, N.Y. for one year.

He did, however, find his services were needed at Notre Dame High School in Batavia. For the next ten years, he taught Chemistry, Spanish, German, and English as well as completed his Masters Degree at Canisius College. In all, he spent 13 years at Notre Dame teaching and coaching baseball and golf.

In 1984, Fr. John went to the University of Buffalo Newman Center, located on the North Campus where he stayed until 1990. It was while Fr. John was serving at U.B. that his lifelong friend, Fr. Joseph Bissonette was murdered.

Looking back, he reflects, “My life as a priest has been more than I had bargained for. By the Grace of God, I was always led to the right place. I am pleased to have served so many people over the years in His name. In following God’s will, I feel I have completed my life and have honored my father and mother as well. I feel blessed that the Holy Spirit has guided me in every phase of my priesthood. As Jesus said, ‘Many are called but few are chosen.’, yet the decision that counts is the one made that leads to happiness and a sense of fulfillment. And I was happy the first moment I made the decision to enter the seminary.”
I remember he knew German which I believe was spoken at his home, growing up. And my mother told me he was pastor briefly at St. Cecilia's when I was an infant but I wasn't aware that he had taught at ND. 'Though he was gone before I was out of middle school anyway.

No comments: