Friday, November 21, 2008

Eating pizza at the usual place while Kenny did fencing, Tim spotted this picture over the doorway to the main dining room.
"What's Obi-Wan Kenobi doing holding a sign of the cross?" he asked.1
I should have said to him, "You mean Old Ben Kenobi?" but instead I just told him it was Padre Pio.

Who, despite his canonization, hasn't become known as "St. Padre Pio." That's not a problem Teresa of Calcutta will have, I don't think. Because who can pronounce Pietrelcina?! Oh, I don't know ... lots of casual Italian spoken in that restaurant tonight, maybe everyone could. But no one made the mistake of addressing me in Italian.

I'll show Timmy the statue of Padre Pio at the entrance of St. Joe's this weekend.

1 Wouldn't have been out of character.

2 comments:

Matt said...

The chapel I volunteer for adoration at is actually called the "St. Pio Chapel" and yes, I think it sounds weird.

When I talk to people I always call it "Padre Pio Chapel."

Moonshadow said...

I always call it "Padre Pio Chapel."

There you go. Exactly.

He's very popular in these parts, even before canonization, I knew ladies who'd pilgrimage to his shrine. Explains his statue out front our church that isn't directly dedicated to his patronage.

His stigmata notwithstanding - which I see no reason to doubt - I've never felt a particular attraction.