Monday, January 21, 2008

It seems difficult for him to tell his story, even now:
I am introduced to a priest in the area, that we begin to have a peer relationship: I’m a pastor, he’s a priest. He knows that I’m doing the Liturgy of the Hours. He invites me to start coming to Saturday night Mass since I don’t have Saturday night obligations. And so I did that. Began going and actually that was the beginning of what brought everything about.

But, at first, I was just going for my own spiritual nurture because the [Catholic] Liturgy was giving me what I could not do in my church on Sunday morning. And I said, “Well, ya put the two together and you’ve really got something good.”

And as I would go, I realized that there was a potential for a conflict here. But I thought as long as I can make this be my personal journey and then do my pastoral leadership. But I thought, “What do I do if it comes to a point where what I understand personally, becomes more than personal, it becomes theological conviction and I know that it affects me pastorally?”

Well, that day came, and I realized that I could not unlearn what I had learned. I could not ignore what the Holy Spirit had enabled me to see. And I realized that all that I had been as an evangelical pastor, I could take that into the Catholic Church but that the bigness and the depth of the Faith … could not be squeezed into the little segment of the Church that I was in. And I began to look at it as if I had a pint-sized faith, that was wonderful and was real, but that I had become aware of a gallon and you can’t put a gallon into a pint, no matter how hard you try, but that the pint fits very easily into the gallon and so I said, “I’ve got to make a switch.”
Is there an inconsistency here? If the "whole pint" fits, whence the conflict? Entre nous, the whole pint doesn't fit. This is propaganda, but at this point in the journey, it's too late to matter.

But he doesn't come alone:
I told her that I was prepared to go to an evangelical church with her and do this [attend Catholic Mass] on my own, and she said, “Let me go with you for a while …” and after she went to a few services, she would leave in tears, saying, “You’ve taken me to a foreign country.”
Journey Home program, Dr. David L. Hall, former Brethren in Christ minister

Official Brethren in Christ web site

News story of interest: “Mennonite Delegation to Vatican Includes EMU Professor”, 10/07.

No comments: