Friday, January 04, 2008


Jim distributed a pamphlet last evening on an intense summer program at Georgian Court, their Biblical Institute (see right).

I say "intense," because it's one week, five full days. It could be modeled on St. E's Summer Institute1 with drastically fewer selections.

The web site (see right) doesn't advertise Jim's class on the Psalms. But those two classes make up the entire Institute! Two classes, what choice! And, knowing Jim, he'd rather be the one teaching John! Tsk, tsk.

I'm not interested personally, of course. I've had both those classes from them already and I doubt they've added anything new. But, if you want my recommendation, take Dr. Schubert - she works directly from the Greek and it's beautiful. Jim's about the only Bible teacher I know who never cracks The Book in class, not that he couldn't also work directly from the Greek. I think he thinks the Bible intimidates Catholic students.

Fact is, I don't remember learning much from Jim's Psalms class, but that could have been my fault as much as anything:
  • it was my final class,
  • it was summertime,
  • I was still working (pretty much),
  • I was pregnant with Timmy (born August), and
  • ILEM was getting into full-swing, so there were twice as many students in the class as usual.2
Jim's lecture style doesn't scale: he does better with an intimate group.

1 St. E's information doesn't seem to be available yet, but I'll try to attend if something looks interesting. I'm expecting Fr. Boadt back again, as he tends to guest lecture every other year.

But there might be other "big names" ... wait and see. For $75 a class, it's hard to refuse a chance to experience such world-class teachers.

2 Mostly giddy, middle-aged women so thrilled to be "back in class" again. Bleck, I was so glad to be getting out of the program as it headed straight downhill. What nonsense.

No comments: