Thursday, November 01, 2007

The entrance hymn was the litany from the Easter Vigil ... which I love very much. It is apt to borrow the litany from the vigil for a day we remember those in heaven, especially as the readings turn eschatological, at liturgical year end.

The first reading was the 144,000 from Revelation. The second reading was from 1 John 3: that we are children of God now but what we will be has not been revealed, we just know we'll be like Him for we will see Him as He is. The Gospel was the Beatitudes from St. Matthew.

The night before, in between trick-or-treaters, I reviewed scripture for the Friday morning study1. With the imagery of Rev. 21 fresh, the Preface to the eucharistic prayer reads, "Today we keep the festival of your holy city, the heavenly Jerusalem, our mother."

1 This footnote may co-opt the entire post but I'm feeling put out:
The study opens with a brief devotion but the study leader has been derelict at designating someone each week.

There was no volunteer this morning, so I offered to read a Scripture from Thursday's liturgy, 1 John 3:1-3. The passage had made a profound impact on me at Mass and, though not necessary, tied into the lesson appropriately.

The study leader demurred, concerned at what I might say? But, my conscience was clear, so I paid her no heed. I read the passage.

She didn't catch anything I read and even prevented the others from hearing! She was hung up on the meaning of the holiday ... which I had no desire to discuss. Their pained interest was patronizing. I shan't volunteer again.

And I have to sit there and smile as they say which Catholics they'll invite.

No comments: