Sunday, November 04, 2007

It's about the music really.

Readings? Yeah, sure, of course. Preaching? No, hardly, not at all. He can stuff his anecdotes. Seminaries need to improve their homiletics training.

So, the music. The hymns first and foremost. Then the major prayers, Gloria, Sanctus, Agnus Dei. Thank God we don't sing the Pater Noster anymore, sheesh. I've yet to encounter a satisfying melody to match the English.

But, you know, and I don't care if the cantor isn't Catholic, not really. I mean, he does alright. Sometimes he's formal where he should be casual and casual where he should be formal. He just doesn't have the rhythm down. But my childhood church had a Methodist at the organ every service, so there's nothing new ...

And he works from our OCP hymnal for the most part. Every once in a while, "Oh, this one isn't in the music issue but it's real simple ..."

But, if you don't know, we say "Alleluia," not "Hallelujah." There's no "h" sound. It's also long A on "Amen," unless we're singing it. Then it's short.

And his Gospel Acclamation bugs the hell out of me.

Here's some for Ordinary Time ... he's using the first one. That bit is fine though it would be nice if he followed the Lectionary.

It's the sung Alleluias before and after that are distressing. The text is basically: Halle, Halle, Hallelujah; Halle, Halle, Hallelujah, etc. AND WE DON'T PRONOUNCE alleluia THIS WAY.

I feel like I'm saying "Holly, Holly, Holly" like some Druid or pagan Celt. Not that there's anything wrong with that ... I have great affinity for that ancient culture.

So, I do my own pronunciation. I say "Alle, alle, alle" and feel better about it.

And can you believe that he didn't sing the final verse to Amazing Grace today?!

Either he doesn't get it ... or he doesn't think we'll get it. But it's listed in the "Second Coming" section of the hymnal, so let's sing the eschatological verse! Instead he repeated other verses. I hit my forehead with the heel of my hand and covered my face with my hands and hung my head ... there in church. I hope no one saw. What a pathetic reaction.

But we sang all the verses of Soon And Very Soon ... it's so simple Kenny's singing it around the house. No, no, not so soon, Kenny, please!

I showed him the picture we took of a tree in Jericho.

tags technorati :

No comments: