Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Waiting to pick up Kenny, then, outside the rel. ed. trailer, I was intrigued to hear a stronger signal than usual from 89.7 FM.
Drive time just hasn't been the same since WAWZ went mostly praise muzak, 'though the new car's CD changer eased the pain a bit. My friend says satellite radio has a myriad of orthodox Bible teachers, but I haven't a prayer of hooking up...
So, in flipping, the first words I heard from Pastor Chris McCarrick were regarding weekly communion at the mid-week service. I approved the frequency but questioned the day. Wednesday is the new Sunday?!

Then I checked myself, remembering Catholic daily communion. And the biblical advice to partake of it whenever the faithful gather, in 1 Cor. 11?1

McCarrick was preaching somewhat loosely from the Sermon on the Mount.

So, he came 'round to speaking on communion while commenting on Matt. 5:23-24. Then he condemned "practicing righteousness."2 And then the almost obligatory apostate Catholic remarks in passing reference to Matthew 6:7-8: "Couldn't wait to get through the rosary as a kid." The ultimate in self-absorption - doesn't move me, so must be something wrong with it3. How happily he must have found a verse to use against it!

What really concerned me about his demeanor, and I know he's a local guy so he might not be particularly polished in his presentation and making allowances for whatever "grow'd up Catholic" daemons he may be dealing with, he displayed a remarkable lack of reverence for scripture.

Sure, he worked forward from a point of entry without jumping back and forth but he didn't treat each verse, simply picked out the "highlights." I guess I have to grant more allowances for being on the radio ... but if at the mid-week service, the pastor doesn't get in-depth into the word with his people, when is it happening? In Sunday School? In home bible studies?

Sometimes I hear on the radio from a church I become interested in visiting. Rev. McCarrick's preaching didn't generate that interest in me. Still, I'll try to talk myself into becoming interested.


1 I haven't read this entirely, but it seems to approximate my point, if not exactly and not from a wholly Catholic perspective ... it seems close enough.

2 But, "practice makes perfect." Lewis on the cardinal virtues.

3 the catch-22 of total depravity.

No comments: