Saturday, November 10, 2007

Kenny told me later that he preferred our walking tour to the musical performance. I don't doubt it. We had better than an hour to spare with little open.

We found visitor parking at a Norwood entrance and walked around the front of the mansion, significantly out of our way, for full effect. Appreciating architectural designs slightly more now than when a student, I marveled through a front door at the ballroom! Indescribable. How wrong to use the building for school administration and faculty offices!

He caught glimpse enough of the terrace 'round back to want a closer look. I told him I had class on the terrace once. I pointed out the lack of symmetry among the structures and, even in the dark, the visual effect it gives. He liked the many water fountains that, though they were off but full, obviously spilled their sides by design.

The student union was open and, sticking his hand in the icy water or no, we were cold. We entered and visited an eerily empty second floor lounge and computer cluster. We spent considerable time investigating student meeting rooms. We took the elevator down to the student bookstore and, curiously, the shopkeeper was just locking up, two hours late!

"We open again tomorrow at noon!" she announced with great cheer. But we were genuinely only browsing. He couldn't believe that a bookstore would carry so many clothes and coffee cups. "Yes," I agreed, "they stock the course textbooks waaay in the back so as not to frighten the freshmen!"

It's, um, it's a remarkably small campus, for a university. I had no trouble finding my way, after ten years away. I thought new buildings had been erected since our time there, but I didn't see any.

During the show, Kenny stuggled to stay awake. He fiddled with the built-in desk and I teased him that he'd have to be more discreet if, as a student, he tries to sleep through class. A few of the numbers, like Golden Slumbers didn't help!

After the show, we walked, yes, walked, very dangerous considering that traffic on Cedar, to the university library in the Guggenheim mansion. It was, of course, closed by this time. I knew that, but frankly couldn't believe it. I always found the library rather creepy: poorly lit, too secluded, no handy parking.

We grabbed a quick bite to eat at our favorite Chinese place where business is so slow the proprietor has to overcharge us. And the next morning, Kenny announced to Jeff that he saw George Washington's house!

After all, I wasn't precise which president had stayed there.



"Greenhut loaned the mansion to President Woodrow Wilson during the campaign of 1916 as the presidential summer home. Thereafter it was known as the Summer White House." - "History of Wilson Hall" - Monmouth University

No comments: