Tuesday, April 04, 2006

As homework for my evangelization training, I need to prepare my testimony.

This describes the time I "got it" intellectually, you know, who Jesus is and what he did. Scales falling and all that.

The "evangelical Protestant church" was Campus Crusade for Christ. One of their members gave me the booklet, the four spiritual laws. I wanted to go on staff with them and all that. I'm not sure whether I felt rejected, I mean, officially ... I mean whether I still feel rejected. Certainly individuals rejected me in those days because I wouldn't leave the Catholic Church.

Here's what I will hand in as homework ... it's part "pitch" because I want someone to put me in ministry:

-------

A stranger handed me a small booklet that explained the Gospel. I took it but refused to talk to her. On the back, I found handwritten the title of a book by C. S. Lewis. I knew this British author and checked out his book from the library. I read Mere Christianity in a weekend and learned that the torturous death of Christ reconciled me to God. I learned that, by faith and baptism, I shall share in Christ’s glorious resurrection. I thought, “If this is the truth, and I think it is, then I want to believe it.”

I got involved with other Christians and church. I split my time between the Catholic Church and an evangelical Protestant church. I attended both for a couple of years, including weekly fellowship and Bible study at the evangelical Protestant church.

I met nice people at both churches. Some at the evangelical Protestant church tried to convince me that the Catholic Church was not a Christian church. I did not understand that. I heard Christ proclaimed in the Catholic Church, even by the priest in my childhood parish.

Eventually, I stopped going to the evangelical Protestant church. I outgrew it, I think, somehow. I became more active in the Catholic Church, teaching catechism as a certified catechist, attending daily Mass and serving as Eucharistic minister, attending small group faith sharing and Bible studies. Along the way, I earned a master’s degree in theology and started a family.

I am interested in why people change religious affiliation and I am interested in helping people towards membership in the Catholic Church in a parish RCIA program.

No comments: