Tuesday, April 11, 2006

The three-year-old is into feature films more than the five-year-old, the former being raised on television from a younger age.

His current favorite is Toy Story, both volumes. I have never watched either Pixar offering but have lately heard the characters' dialogue and Randy Newman's soundtrack from the DVD player, in the car and in the family room. Since The Polar Express, the boys seem to like "all things Tom Hanks". I wonder whether they will like the DaVinci Code movie. Just kidding.

The setup in the hospital room on Saturday had a child like Tim clearly in mind: adjustable bed and portable VCR/TV player within reach. And plenty of kids' videos. Kenny helped the nurse pick out shows that Tim would like. And he did well, selecting favorites Blue's Clues, Thomas the Tank Engine, and both Toy Storys.

Over the course of our 24-hour hospital stay, we watched Toy Story twice and, to tell the truth, it was very entertaining. I laughed quite a bit and not just at the innuendo. It was a treat to see the action accompanying the sounds, both dialogue and music, now very familiar to me from repeated overhearings.

The part that I liked was how Buzz discovered his actual lot through a television commercial and Woody discovered his past glory through the same medium. I guess TV lets us know who we are. That explains my identity crisis. I had better quit blogging and start watching the tube.

And the song "You've Got A Friend In Me" rattles around my head. For the life of me, I can't morph it into "You've Got A Friend In Jesus", not even for Holy Week.

No comments: