Saturday, April 01, 2006

I won't get around to reading either of the two books reviewed by Eugene Fisher here, but these comments of Fisher's are good:

The problem is that Huntington doesn't believe that the American creed is, in the end, enough to hold us together. He feels that we must emphasize the "Anglo" by stopping the creeping "Hispanicization" of the American Southwest and South Florida. And he thinks that we must emphasize the "Protestant," which he will modify to "Christian" on one page but slide back to "dissident Protestant" on another.

Along with the U.S. Catholic bishops I see the need for immigration reform. But, as a Catholic, I cannot see Huntington's immigration attitudes as anything other than a sophisticated version of the old Nativist, No-Nothing politicians who saw my immigrant ancestors (and yours) as a menace to America's Protestant identity.

While it is true that the Founding Fathers (and mothers) were a mix of Protestants and enlightened deists, it is equally true, as Huntington admits, that the Anglo-Protestantism he extols was profoundly racist and intolerant of Catholicism. I would argue that after World War II America evolved away from those flaws and became something better.

[...]

Meanwhile, like most Catholics, Rabbi Rudin also embraces a pluralistic America. The rabbi has been my friend and a partner in Jewish-Catholic dialogue with the U.S. bishops for three decades. His book argues that the extreme end of the conservative fundamentalist/evangelical Protestant community has a well-planned drive to make America officially what they think it should be: a "Christian" nation. (The people Rabbi Rudin writes about here do not generally accept "Catholic" as a category of "Christian.")

This group, which he calls "Christocrats," do have something valuable to say to our society. As a Catholic, I would largely endorse their strong pro-life stance, for example, though I would break with them regarding the death penalty. Similarly, Catholics will in general agree with Rabbi Rudin that the biology classroom is not the place to discuss creationism and that public libraries should be free to lend out books about witches and wizards.

The Catholic agenda in America is, well, our own. Sometimes we agree with liberals and sometimes with conservatives.

American freedom and identity is our inheritance from our forebears. As a Catholic and a descendant of Daniel O'Connell, the great liberator of Ireland, I see that our American legacy came not just from Protestantism but also from Catholic Italy (via Catholic, Jewish, Muslim Spain) which invented the Renaissance and – ahem – taught the English everything they needed to know to invent America.


Fisher works in interfaith dialogue as an associate director of the U.S. bishops' Secretariat for Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs.

6 comments:

michele said...

I didn't know you want to Monmouth! I did too when it was still Monmouth College.

Nice new look! I was wondering when you would get tired of your template :-). Thank's for the link. I laughed when I saw "seminarian."

Moonshadow said...

O, Monmouth U. O, Monmouth U. To thee we e'er be staunch and true ...

Thank you and thank you for coming over on a slow Saturday night.

I still like the bubbles template!

This is in imitation of those sample web pages with fake Latin texts on them, you know?

Except this Latin text isn't fake!

It's like a newspaper, too, all gray colored, except for the Incarnation verse which is highlighted.

Everything is as I envisioned it but my husband says it looks terrible.

The link is no big deal because I don't get any traffic. After putting Michelle's orphanage and Michael's bible research site on, what's another Protestant link gonna cost me?

You ARE a seminarian. Your blog seems to be getting quite famous.

It's is a group blog, yes, but the other women there are mostly strangers to me. I know only you.

michele said...

Why did you choose to use pink? I like the text and noticed the highlighting. Have you thought of adding text or a graphic in the top part. For some reason it seems a little empty to me.

BTW, do you want more traffic? Why don't you join our group? Don't want to be called a chick? We don't get a lot of cross traffic but we do get some. And of course I hope that will eventually change.

michele said...

Not that I don't like the pink, I was just curious. I think the font color and the pink backgroup look nice together, did you use the color scheme online tool?

Moonshadow said...

I chose pink because it seems that most bloggers are women. Anyway, I want to attract women.

At first, I thought the background color might be a daily variable, a mood ring motif. But that's a little too esoteric. I'd spend too time explaining myself ... hmm, like I'm doing now! :-)

The font color is original from the template and just happens to go with pink, imho.

I looked at the color scheme tool but didn't like the shades of pink available. I did the background with Powerpoint and its color wheel is just so easy to use.

As for the text, the Latin alphabet is more likely to display correctly than the Greek and more people are likely to be able to decipher Latin than Greek. But the font is intentionally small in case I've made a typo! The curious will discover that it's John's Prologue.

A long time ago, the Gideons were on my college campus distributing pocket-sized green New Testaments with the Psalms and Proverbs. John 3:16 appeared inside in a number of different languages. I clipped out the languages I knew and pasted them on my gym locker. I was too embarrassed to put it up in English but the curious could have figured it out.

With that in mind, I may change the language in the future.

I tried loading a picture in the blank space ... in imitation of your blogs ... but I can't remember what happened ... it didn't turn out and after spending so much time on the background .gif, I gave up and merely put the picture at the bottom (the Tabgha picture that my husband took seven years ago). I know that no one scrolls to the bottom. I'm thinking of archiving more often so that the whole page is shorter and people are more likely to see the bottom.

Well, I do this blog for me, getting my thoughts off my mind, like a catharsis because otherwise I send angry emails to friends and they aren't interested in what's the latest thing to tick me off. So, part of me wants people to read and part of me doesn't. I joined a Catholic blog ring for some hopefully "friendly" traffic and that's about it at the moment.

Don't think I haven't considered your group or that I haven't felt invited, because that's not the case.

Moonshadow said...

The other thing I would say, related to portions of the Bible being translated into many languages, like the Gideons' use of John 3:16, is ...

When you yourself get to the Holy Land, if you visit any Catholic sites (I don't know what a Protestant tour of the Holy Land would cover), like the place of John the Baptizer in Ein Karem (scroll down to the Magnificat, NET is actually the tour agency we went with), there are huge plaques with the words of Scripture in many languages.

This decorative feature of these holy sites made quite an impression on me.