Monday, April 24, 2006

Awoke this morning to the chirp of the UPS units, upstairs and down. Power outage at about 5 AM.

Jeff grabbed the flashlight and shutdown the computers before the UPS gave out. The power was off for an hour. In the back of my mind, I fear that an unexplained power interruption is a prelude to some orchestrated attack. My mind was relieved when morning broke and the birds sang.

Especially on a rainy, slick Spring morning, I wonder whether the disruption is the result of someone plowing their car into a telephone pole, in this case, on their way to work. We heard a single siren about twenty minutes later. We never hear sirens out here unless Santa Claus is riding through town on a MTFD truck. It was a haunting sound, that lone siren. It stopped in the vicinity but not on our street.

On the way to school with the boys, a nearby road was closed for utility work. They worked on the lines all day. They are always working on the lines around here because of all the construction. It's difficult to tell what is repair and what is new. But, when the road opened and I was able to drive past, I saw some trees sharply down. I wonder whether they were struck by lightening. Or just gusty winds. But the outage seemed to be weather-related and not caused by accident (or anything worse!)

No comments: