Tuesday, April 04, 2006

We moms were few this morning, so Braiden's mom had little choice but to talk with me. Except I broke the ice first with a compliment on Braiden's new swim suit. And she mentioned shopping at Carter's in the Jackson Outlets for it.

A little later on, in the pool with our babies, I inquired whether she lives in Colts Neck. Her husband always drives the Fire Chief truck to swim lessons.

No. She said that they live in Freehold Boro. I haven't any idea where "Freehold Boro" is. I mean, why specify "Freehold Boro" instead of plain "Freehold"? It seemed as if she were trying to mitigate against an implied stigma associated with Freehold, in the way that people say they live in Manalapan when in fact they live in Englishtown. Like Macbeth, they have ambition ... but let's call it rather "aspiration", for a better life, economically.

Still later, she mentioned her Mommy & Me class on Monday morning at the Reformed Church in Colts Neck where her mother-in-law works. I commented that it is an attractive-looking church, there on 537, and I asked whether that is her church.

She said that she was raised Catholic but her husband has attended the Colts Neck church since he was Braiden's age. She admitted that it's all very different to her. I would hope that she is exaggerating a bit. Her comment may arise from distinctives in worship style rather than in theology. Yes, theological differences exist. We won't get into them because most people are sensory, experiential and a little superficial in spiritual matters, even initially.

All I could say was that I love this part of New Jersey for its true Reformed Churches. And I think she thought that was a weird thing to say. Well, it is, unless she knows the religious history of this area. In the end, I wished her and Braiden a "Happy Easter" because we don't meet again until after Easter Sunday.

And on the way home, I tried to think of how to pray for her. It was hard not to want her back. They all three are so happy. But I at least asked God to draw them closer to Himself through Christ and for them to observe Easter with reverent joy.

No comments: