Friday, January 12, 2007

"Books highlight spiritual dimension of the Beatles phenomenon" - J. T. Keane, Catholic News Service, 1/8/07.

The second book sounds more interesting to me because it gets into the music more. I mean, the lyrics.

I had trouble finding the book at Amazon but found it at the publisher's web site, Continuum. I've bought books from them before, eggheaded theology books. After getting the ISBN, I was able to find the book at Amazon1 too. $65 for hardcover!! And only $18 for soft. Gosh, I gotta have hardcover. I just gotta. Oh, well, no one gave me an Amazon gift card for Christmas.

The CNS review recalls Lennon's boast that the Beatles are bigger than Jesus. And, a few days ago, I was killing time, waiting for another show to start, by watching a segment of Tommy. The segment was a favorite part, or rather, a favorite song, "Sally Simpson".

And it occurred to me that The Who got away with it. They put skin on Lennon's comment and, barely ten years later, no one batted an eye anymore about it.

1 From an editorial review (Publishers Weekly) on the Amazon page: "Allison finds 'more than a trace of anti-Catholicism' in his (Harrison's) music." Gee, ya think?!

No comments: